Title: The Project
Author: Courtney Summers
I absolutely loved Sadie and when I saw that Courtney Summers had a new book out I knew I had to read it. She did not disappoint me. I highly recommend this book! **My review could contain spoilers for some**
**Thank you NetGalley and St. Martin Press for an advanced copy of this book in exchange for an honest review**
Lo Denham is in a terrible car accident that killed both of her parents and almost killed her. Bea is Lo’s sister and after the accident that almost killed her whole family she decides to join The Unity Project, an organization that appears to do a lot of good for the community. By doing so, she cuts herself off from Lo. Lo knows something is off about Unity Project and spends the next six years trying to prove it. Her like many others claims it is a cult. Someone comes to Lo claiming The Unity Project killed his son and Lo stops at nothing to get to the bottom of what’s going on. Once she meets and learns more about Lev, the leader of the Unity Project, she’s not sure what to believe anymore.
What did I like:
1. Courtney Summers does an pretty chilling and accurate portrayal how a leader can easily gaslight and manipulate it’s members. How these charismatic individuals know just the right things to say or do. I even found myself cheering for Lev at times. Yikes!
2. It’s told in dual timelines as well as two different perspectives. It was easy to follow and understand. I absolutely love these two things and Summers does it flawlessly!
3. The ending! Somehow Summers always leaves me wanting more with her endings. I mean this in a good way. I enjoy how she leaves it up to the readers interpretation.
What did I not like:
1. The story is a slow build. It take some time to get going. There isn’t a ton of action in the story but its still definitely worth the read. It would have been nice to learn more about the Unity Projects darker side or at the very least more hints to that darker side.
2. I wish there was more development into the relationship between Lo and Lev. I really want to say more about that but can’t because I do not want to completely spoil the story. You’ll just have to take my word for it. haha.
The Project come outs February 2, 2021.