Finlay Donovan Is Killing It Review
Title: Finlay Donovan is Killing It
Author: Elle Cosimano
Thank you NetGalley and St Martins Press/Minotaur Books for an advanced readers copy in exchange for my honest review. Finlay Donovan is Killing it comes out February 2nd!
“I’m not taking a penny less than fifteen thousand…. Let’s bury this one and move on to the next.”
Finlay Donovan is a single mother of two kids whose ex husband left her for the realtor. She is also a writer and broke. She has to write a stellar novel to help pay her bills. Nothing seems to be going her way. Her babysitter was fired, she needs her ex to help pay her bills and she’s close to losing custody of her children. She meets with her agent and is told she must produce a novel and fast. As she writes, her novel is leaning closely with reality as she becomes involved in a murder investigation.
What did I like:
1. This book is hilarious. I have never read a mystery book that has made me laugh so much. The characters personalities and their banter and were so funny at times my abs hurt from laughing. (ok I might be exaggerating a tad but it was super funny and I laughed a lot)
2. The characters. I loved them all. All the characters were pretty likable, even the bad guys. I especially loved Vero, who was the fired babysitter who was rehired (read and find out why) and became a good friend. I need a Vero in my life.
3. The overall story was fast paced and well written. I seriously loved everything about this book. Will probably be a top read in 2021.
4. I don’t know why but I kept getting Dead to Me vibes while reading this.
What did I not like:
1. My only complaint was how the detective involved Finlay in the investigation. I am not sure that’s totally believable but at the same time it added a lot of value of the story. It is a work of fiction and so I can live with that.
Overall, this is such a fun read! I highly recommend it!