Title: The Wife Upstairs
Author: Rachel Hawkins
Thank you NetGalley and St Martins Press for this advanced copy in exchange for my honest review. The Wife Upstairs is out January 5th.
Jane is on the run and arrives in Alabama. She’s broke and decides to start walking dogs for a rich neighborhood. There she meets Eddie and is drawn to him. Eddie is recently widowed. His wife, Bea and her best friend Blanche went missing when on boat and they are presumed dead. As Jane and Eddie fall in love, Jane finds herself trying to measure up to Bea. What really happened to Bea and Blanche and is Eddie involved?
What did I like:
1. The story is pretty fast paced. For the most part I felt pretty drawn into the story. I know is a Jane Erye retelling and reading this story made me want to pick up that classic and read it.
2. None of the characters were likable but at the same time I wanted to keep reading to find out what would happen to them. I actually love when an author can make the reader dislike the characters but you still want to keep reading. I think it speaks to strong character development.
3. Multiple points of view and dual times, when done well I love these things and boy did this author delivery.
What did I not like:
1. While the story was fast paced it was also a little underwhelming at times. I could have used a few more plot twists and turns.
2. I wanted a little more with the ending. I won’t say much more than that because I don’t want to spoil it.
Overall a pretty decent read. Great for thriller lovers.